St. Paul's Church, Penn Road.
Built in 1835, and designed by Robert Ebbles.
|John Roper, in his "Historic Buildings of Wolverhampton", describes
the church thus:
"The style is a mixture of Rickman's 'Early English'
and 'Perpendicular', rather arbitrarily applied. The main feature of the
west front - modelled, it seems, after St. George's Chapel, Windsor - is
a large 5-light window of admirable proportions.
This, with the late
'Perpendicular' doorway below, is flanked by octagonal turrets - made to
look rather incongruous by the heavy pinnacles which weight them, and
which belong, unhappily, to the 'Early English' style. But only the
purists could have scoffed ....".
The church disappeared when the ring road was built.