One of Wolverhampton's oldest landmark buildings on
the eastern side of the City Centre is the Old Steam
Mill in Corn Hill. It is the second corn mill on the
site, built in 1852. The original mill, dating from
the 1790s was destroyed in a disastrous fire in
The mill is one of three that were built
alongside the canal, to take advantage of the
extensive canal network for the transportation of
wheat, and the transportation of milled
flour to wholesalers. The other flour mills, the
Albion Mill, and the Union Mill were nearby, but
built at a later date.
The mill had a long working life, and easily
outlived the competition. Both flour and animal feed
were produced until 1959, when flour production
ended. From that time until closure in 1990, only
animal feed was produced.
An advert from 1974.
After many years of dereliction, hope was raised
with a plan to convert the mill into apartments.
Unfortunately nothing was done and the building fell
into a sad state of repair.
Tragically the building was badly damaged in 2008
after a hideous arson attack, and has since been
The story of the mill is told in the following