The 1950s

In 1925 the mill was electrified by Christie Brothers of Chelmsford. They installed equipment built by the Electric Construction Company Limited at Wolverhampton. The E.C.C. produced a quarterly company magazine called 'Institute News'. The photographs below are from the 1954 autumn edition.

The Old Steam Mill in the 1950s.


Flour sacking and weighing.

Flour roller mills at work.


Purification units.

Flour sifters.


Packing self-raising flour.

Packing animal feedstuffs.


Barley, wheat and maize flaking for cattle and poultry feeds.

A cubing and pelleting plant.


An E.C.C. drive motor.

Return to
The New Mill
  Return to
the beginning
  Proceed to
Recent Times