Snow Hill

Snow Hill was originally an extension of Dudley Street until the building of the Mander Centre. Prior to about 1760 it had very few buildings, in fact there were open fields stretching down to Worcester Street and the west, which were known as the Cock Closes. Temple Street was known as Grey Pea Walk and was just a footpath in between the fields. After 1760 when St John's Church opened Snow Hill was quickly developed.
CENTRALLIB.jpg (28754 bytes)
The Central Library opened in 1902. It replaced the former library which had been housed in the old police station in Garrick Street since 1872.

The new building was built on the site of the Theatre Royal and was designed by H. T. Hare, and built by Henry Willcock & Co.

The opening of the building had been planned to coincide with Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee but in reality it opened in time to celebrate the coronation of her successor.

The poster that was produced to advertise the laying of the foundation stone for the new library. CENTRALLIB2.jpg (31498 bytes)
I have included one of my own photographs as it shows the front of the Gaumont Cinema that used to be on the corner of  St George's Parade.

The cinema was built on the site of the Agricultural Hall and opened on 5th September 1932.

It was very successful and became well known in the 1960's for a series of Rock & Roll concerts that featured some of the most  famous artists of  the day.

This photograph was taken a little while before it finally closed on 10th November 1973.

GAUMONT.jpg (22759 bytes)
GAUMONT3.jpg (23438 bytes)
This photograph shows the Gaumont in  September 1975 just before demolition.
These shops on the eastern side of Snow Hill are empty and awaiting demolition.

The lettering on Hill's Snack Bar window lists many of the items that were sold off when the shop closed.

The "Everything Must Go" sale included a fridge, freezer and two gas cookers. Next door used to be Janet Sale's Hair Stylist shop.

SNOWHILL6.jpg (22305 bytes)

SNOWHILL5.jpg (25049 bytes)

On the left is David Hough gents hairdresser who moved to Victoria Street. A. Gorway sold coins, medals, antiques and was a licensed dealer in gold coins.

On the extreme right is Barclays Bank which was built on the site of the old Snow Hill Congregational Church which partially collapsed in 1941 and so had to be demolished.

The pied Bull Inn on the corner of Temple Street used to be called the Coach and Horses, which for a long time was a coaching inn.

Originally it was a fine Georgian town house but has since lost its upper storey. Temple Street took its name from the Independent Chapel which opened there in 1782.

SNOWHILL4.jpg (19308 bytes)
SNOWHILL2.jpg (24987 bytes)
These shops on the western side are currently being renovated, and still retain their original character. On the extreme right is a venetian blind shop and David of London who was a ladies hairdresser.

Next is the Imperial Gardens Chinese restaurant and Jeff Ling's Radio & Electronics shop. He was a keen angler and once the conversation got around to fishing it would continue for sometime. His original premises were in Fryer Street.

On the left is the corner of George Street. The fine Georgian house on the corner  is occupied by the Cheltenham and Gloucester Building Society. 

The second shop on the right used the be the Bandbox which for many years was Wolverhampton's premier music shop selling guitars, amplifiers, drums and accessories.

It greatly benefited from the pop music boom in the early 1960's. In 1999 it finally moved to Worcester Street but sadly closed a few months later.

SNOWHILL1.jpg (28424 bytes)
GEORGEST3.jpg (19813 bytes) George Street was and still is a fine example of Georgian housing.

Its the only remaining street of its type in the town.

The Villiers Reform Club met here from the early 1880's.

Return to
Darlington Street
  Return to the
  Proceed to
Dudley Road