The Molineux Hotel.

The Molineux Hotel was originally the Molineux family's town house. It became a hotel in 1860 when it was purchased by O.E. McGregor. After becoming the City's first public park, the grounds were used for sporting events and became famous in the early 1870s for cycle racing.

The Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club started to meet there and eventually brought the gardens to build their football ground, which is still known as the Molineux today.

The hotel closed in 1979 and has been derelict for many years. It looked as though it was all over in 2003 when a fire was deliberately started in the building.

It is a survivor but its future is still uncertain, awaiting an injection of much-needed cash and a suitable occupant..

The back of the Molineux Hotel.

St. Peter & St. Paul.

Giffard House and the chapel of St. Peter & St. Paul before the completion of the new extension to the telephone exchange.

In the background on the left is the newly built Tarmac building.

St. Peter's Church Hall survived until the early 1970s when it was demolished to make way for the then Polytechnic's new library.

St. Peter's Church Hall in St. Peter's Square.

Another view of St. Peter's Church Hall.

Another view of the hall. The trees on the left are in front of St. Peter's Collegiate School, most of which was demolished at the same time as the hall.

The school moved to Compton Road West. In the background is part of the Polytechnic.

The Elephant and Castle pub that was on the corner of Cannock Road and Stafford Street.

The unfortunate saga of its hasty demolition has been well recorded.

The building was a fine example of a traditional tiled Black Country public house.

The ornate building was a great loss and is sadly missed by many people.

The Elephant and Castle public house.

Return to the photograph album