The beginnings of the Civic Centre.

The Civic Centre was built on the site of the old retail market which opened in 1853 and closed in 1960, when it moved to the current site in Salop Street.

The building was demolished in 1962 and the site was used as a car park until work started on the Civic Centre in 1975. It was built by Taylor Woodrow Construction (Midlands) Ltd. and designed by Clifford Culpin and Partners and given a Civic Trust Award in 1979.

On the far left is the newly constructed Tarmac Building.

The Molineux Hotel was still in use as a public house and behind it can be seen the old Molineux football ground.

The site of the Wholesale Market.

The Town Hall.

This photograph shows the old Town Hall nearing the end of its civic life. It was built in between 1869 and 1871 in the style of a French Chateau, and was designed by Manchester architect Mr. E. Bates.

It was constructed by Philip Horsman of Wolverhampton.

This is an interesting view of Corn Hill. All of the buildings in the photograph have since disappeared. On the right is Old Mill Street and beyond it is the Wheel Inn.

Behind the pub is the old G.P.O. sorting office. In 2003 the factory on the left was demolished as part of the Albion Mill development which will provide over 200 flats and hopefully greatly improve the area.

Corn Hill.

Five Ways.

Five Ways was at the bottom of Stafford Road. On the left is Waterloo Road North and to the right of Christchurch is Dunstall Road. Christchurch was built in between 1867 and 1870 and contained a window and fresco by Wyndham Hughes.

It was a chapel of ease to St. Andrew's church until its own parish was formed in 1877. On the right is a tobacconist and general stores run by V.L. Westwood and Son.

The shop opposite is Wiltshire's pawnshop and gent's outfitters and the road on the extreme right is Fox's Lane.

Another view of Five Ways.

Return to the photograph album