The area originally formed part of
the eastern boundary of Wolverhampton and was occupied
by Grimstone Farm and an area of wet and boggy fields.
Housing first appeared at Springfield in 1858 to 59 when
speculative building led to the development of Bagnal
Street, Bridge Street, Culwell Street, Field Street, and
Junction Street, which were mainly filled with rows of
By the 1870s much of the area
bordered by Stafford Street and Broad Street (originally
Canal Street), known as Carribee Island was full of
tightly packed, disease-ridden, overcrowded tenements.
Much of the housing in Old Lichfield street also
consisted of slum properties. The Conservative
Government of the day Passed the Artisans’ Dwelling Act
in 1875 to enable towns like Wolverhampton to demolish
the slum areas and replace them with better
accommodation for the working classes.
As a result of the Act, land was
purchased at Springfield for new a new housing
development and within a few years Grimstone Farm was
surrounded on three sides by houses. Springfield is also
known for its Brewery which appeared in 1873 as William
Butler’s Springfield Brewery. Butlers had operated for
many years from their Priestfield Brewery in John
Street, but by the 1870s their well began to run dry.
The move was made to Springfield because of a plentiful
supply of good water and the adjacent railway line. By
1874 the Brewery was fully operational.