1941 saw the installation of a new
lectern to commemorate church worshipper, Charles Busby,
who was killed in action. The organist, Victor Woolley
was called-up and 15 year old Kenneth Greenaway of St.
George’s Church acted as a temporary replacement. During
the war a lot of much-needed funds for the war effort
were raised from national collections, organised by the
government. St. Stephen’s actively participated and took
out £45 worth of saving certificates for “Salute the
Soldier Week”. Wartime restrictions had one unusual
effect on the church choir; there were only 18 surpluses
available for the 24 choir boys.