Tettenhall Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels

It is not known when the church was built. It is recorded in the Domesday Book, but as Tettenhall had a tiny population at the time, the church was probably quite small. In 1950 most of the building, except for the tower, was completely destroyed by fire. After the fire, when the church was almost completely rebuilt, no trace could be found of any Saxon stonework.

Like St. Peter's Church in Wolverhampton, Tettenhall Church was a collegiate church, run by a dean and a college of prebendaries. The Dean was also Lord of the Manor of Tettenhall Clericorum, the northern part of the village including Barnhurst, Bilbrook, and Aldersley. There were five prebends, one for each of the following areas: Tettenhall, Perton, Wrottesley, Pendeford, and Codsall.

After the fire on 2nd February, 1950, all that remained intact was the 14th century tower with its peal of eight bells, and the Victorian porch. In the early 1950s a new nave, chancel and vestry were designed by Bernard Miller, an architect who had been closely associated with the Liverpool School of Architecture. The church was rebuilt in modern Gothic style, and consecrated on April 16th 1955.

During its later years, parts of the original building were completely covered in Ivy.

A more recent photograph showing the new, and very different building, which officially opened on 16th April, 1955.

The northern side of the old church.

Looking back towards the church from the path up the ridge to Church Hill Road.


A fine view of the lich gate, built in about 1890.


An ancient tombstone in the graveyard near to Lime Tree Walk. There is a tradition that this old gravestone is the effigy of a certain wicked woman, who from her persistence in spinning on Sundays, was punished by the loss of both arms and legs.

The interior of the old church.

The church's peel of eight bells which were recast in 1923 by Gillett and Johnston of Croydon.

Return to
Lower Green
  Return to
the contents
  Proceed to
Tettenhall Road