Education was controlled by the
South East Staffordshire Divisional Executive for
Education, which came under Staffordshire County
Council. The Executive was based at the Education
Offices in Walsall Street, and also controlled education
in Darlaston, Willenhall, Wednesfield, and Bilston.
County Technical College
The Technical College.
The college stood on the corner of
Kendrick Street and Walsall Street, and was built in
1914, and extended in 1929. A new 3 acre site had
recently been acquired on the opposite side of Walsall
Street. The principal was Mr. H. A. MacColl.
The Department of Engineering ran
part-time day and evening courses for National
Certificates in mechanical, structural, electrical, and
production engineering, and City and Guilds courses in
machine shop engineering, steel fabrication, and
electrical installation. There were evening classes in
press tool making and die sinking, boiler house
practice, gauge inspection and fine management,
foremanship, civil engineering, and works management.
The Department of Metallurgy ran
full-time day sandwich courses in metallurgy, and
part-time day and evening classes for National
Certificates in metallurgy, associate membership of the
Institution of Metallurgists, and City and Guilds in
metallurgy, foundry work, pattermaking, and welding.
The Department of Science ran G.C.E.
courses in science.
The Department of Photography ran a
full-time day photographic course, and part-time day and
evening photographic classes leading to a City and
Guilds qualification, or membership of the Institute of
The Department of Domestic Science
and Needlecraft ran City and Guilds courses in cookery
and dressmaking, and classes in tailoring, dressmaking,
embroidery, and handicrafts.
The college also had a secondary
technical school for boys with a starting age of 13½ or
Staffordshire College of Commerce
|The County Commercial College in Wood Green,
established in 1926 had over 2,000 full-time and
part-time students. The principal was Mr. H. Harman. The
college catered for students over the age of 15, and ran
a junior commercial course for post secondary modern
There were also part-time day release
courses, which catered for over 400 students, in
accountancy, cost accounting, secretarial work, and 6
foreign languages. There were also lunch time language
The Staffordshire College of
Wednesbury had two evening
institutes which were part of the County Commercial
College, and the County Technical College. The
Wednesbury Evening Institute in Holyhead Road provided
instruction in technical, commercial, and general
subjects, with branch courses at Addison Street Woodwork
Centre in Lower High Street, and in Lower High Street
Primary School. The classes prepared young people for
courses at the County Technical College, and the
Commercial College. There were also adult classes in
dressmaking, tailoring, home crafts, embroidery,
woodwork, elocution, and first aid.
The King’s Hill Evening Institute
in Old Park Road catered mainly for adults, and offered
classes in dressmaking, woodwork, amateur radio, and
Tameside School, Walton Road.
Return to Things
To See And Do