The Font

In the Transactions of the Birmingham Archeological Society Vol.68 1952, S. A. Jeavons F. S. A. describes the font at Bushbury:

Sixteenth Century Bushbury

The font here has never been carefully examined and the date determined. It is a deep tub-shaped bowl 2'1" deep, 2' 9" across, and is Norman in shape. A broad band of late trefoil foliage runs round the top of the bowl which has become so stiff and conventionalised that it is easily recognised as early 16th century type. Broad bands divide the remainder of the bowl into triangles and under one of these inverted triangles on a throne sits a figure carved in classical style with the right hand raised in blessing. The head of this figure and the portion of the bowl above it has been restored; another portion of the rim has also been restored further round in a red sandstone which is most conspicuous. The remaining triangles are filled with a convential leaf foliage of the horsechestnut variety. The bowl rests upon a thick circular pedestal with a spreading base decorated by a band of trefoiled foliage exactly like that running round the rim of the font. This font is so unusual that one can readily understand the perplexity it has caused.

It is certainly not an effort from the early Gothic Revival as Garner in 1844 refers to it as an ancient font. The clue is to be found in the two bands of late conventional ornament which became the style in the fifteenth and early sixteenth century. The remaining foliage, too, is late and thus dates this interesting font in this period.

Return to the
stained glass
Return to
the contents
Proceed to
church effigies