This list combines that given in the Staffordshire Parish Register
Society's publication for Bushbury (1956-7), with that appearing in the
"History of Bushbury Parish" pamphlet of 1936. It is augmented with
additional information from Joseph Foster's "Alumni Oxonienses", J.A.Venn's
"Alumni Cantabrigienses", "The Clergy List", "Crockford", other parish
|Roger de Bushbury
|Hugh de Bushbury
|William de Sheppeye
||Noted 1369,1374, and 1397 in Old Fallings deeds from Paget family in
||temp. Edward IV 1461-1483
||appointed 17.5.1546; resigned 1558
||appointed 4.5.1558; died 1567
||appointed 20.3.1567/8; died August 1626; a total of 58 years,
although at the time of his burial the Register says 38 years.
||appointed 15.9.1626; resigned September 1631.
||Born 1595. Pupil at Wolverhampton Grammar School then at Queen's
College Oxford 1612, BA.1616, MA.1619. Curate of Darlaston 1620.
Schoolmaster of Brewood. Appointed Vicar of Bushbury 17.9.1631.
||appointed 7.8.1641. Vicar of Brewood since 1634. Buried Bushbury
||Born 1657, son of John Peake of Elnor, Staffs. Appointed 1684
.Married Elizabeth Persehouse of Gornal. Buried at Bushbury 17.1.1691.
||Noted 1693-1726. Also Prebend of St.Peter's Wolverhampton. Buried at
||Appointed 1729. Vicar of Shifnal 1728.
||Appointed 1748. Born 1704, son of John Nocke of Oldington Salop.
Buried at Bushbury, 18.5.1757.
||Appointed 1757. Son of Edward Whitehouse of Wolverhampton. Resigned
||Born 1732, son of John Fletcher of Tutbury, Appointed 1765,but after
only one year suffered a mental breakdown from which he never recovered.
He resigned and died in 1800; buried at Tutbury 1.2.1800. During the
years of his illness his work was carried out by his curates, first
Thomas Greaves, then from 1770, William Jones, who was also Vicar of
Wednesfield and a Prebendary of St.Peter's Wolverhampton. He died in May
1793, and his successor, John Clare, curate of Pattingham, was appointed
vicar in 1800.
||Born 1765, son of Timothy Clare of Bewdley. He was also incumbent of
Wednesfield and a J.P. His son the Reverend George Boodle Clare became
Vicar of Shareshill and later the first vicar of St. Georges,
Wolverhampton. In 1827 John Clam was living in North Street,
Wolverhampton, and later moved to the Deanery where he died in 1839. He
was buried at Bushbury on July 16th.
||Appointed 31.12 1839. Married Catherine Davenhill at Bushbury
1.5.1839. Buried at Bushbury 19.2.1864 aged 59. A monument stands on the
south side of the churchyard, and there is a memorial to him on the
north wall of the chancel.
|H. Fleming Baxter
|Matthew Butterworth Moorhouse
||Appointed 1872, formerly of Tintwhistle Cheshire and Hepworth,
Yorks. Author of minor verses etc. see British Library Catalogue. Oxford
friend of Walter Pater.
|Henry Knight Eaton
||Appointed 1881, formerly Vicar of St. Chad's Shrewsbury, and Christ
Church Stafford. Buried at Bushbury 9.1.1883 aged 62.
||Appointed 1883. In 1903 exchanged livings with his successor Vicar
of St. Paul's Poole Dorset.
||Appointed 1914. Resigned through ill-health 1919 and was succeeded
by his curate.
|Josiah Thomas Crathorne
||Born in Bridlington,1885. Went to Fitzwilliam Hall Cambridge,1912.
Ordained, 1916 and appointed assistant curate at St. James,
Wolverhampton. In 1917 he was asked by Bishop Kempthorne to take charge
of the parish of Bushbury with Essington during the continuing illness
of the vicar. Following the resignation of the Rev. Percy Illot in 1919,
he was persuaded to accept the incumbancy. In the post war years Mr.
Crathorne was instrumental in extending the work of the church in the
ever expanding population of the parish through the building of mission
churches. Separate parishes were formed at Oxley in 1832 and at
Essington in 1933. Following his death in October 1955 a memorial window
was installed in the north aisle of the church by parishioners and
friends in grateful remembrance. This replaced thw indow to Edward
Banks, architect of the 1853 rebuilding of the church.