In May 1950 the School of Art and Crafts became Wolverhampton College of Art.
Its aims were to maintain
and develop the closest possible relations with
industry, collaborate with employers to develop new
training courses, and to maintain a high level of
achievement in the fine arts.
From the 1951 Wolverhampton Red
From the 1958 Wolverhampton Red
In 1963 the college began running its first
degree-level course in the form of a Diploma in Art and
Design. Three years later the college had a new
Principal, Robin Plummer who oversaw the building of a
new college alongside Ring Road St Peters. Work on the
new site began in the summer of 1967, and by early 1969
the new building had appeared.
The first degree show was held
there on 12th June, 1969 and the first full academic
year started in September 1969. The building was
officially opened by an ex student, Sir Charles Wheeler on 23rd October,
Wolverhampton College of Art merged
with Wolverhampton College of Technology to form The
Polytechnic, Wolverhampton which was founded on 1st
The college's final home, as part
of the Polytechnic's School of Art and Design, as seen
in the late 1970s.