|Listing: Farmhouse, now two units, and
attached cartshed and cow house. c.1600 with C18
additions and early C19 rebuilding; restored 1980s.
Timber framed range ....
Chatwin, Bushbury Parish and People. Click here for relevant
section of online edition, containing considerable
detail of this building and its history.
Comment: The spelling of this farm's name varies. Alex
Chatwin settled for Northicote; Wolverhampton City Council, the present
owners, seem to favour Northycote.
||The house was fully restored in the late 80s.
The farm buildings (some of which appear in the
photo below) were also restored. A
considerable area of land around was turned into a
working farm with open land beyond.
The house itself is a good example of how an old
house changes over time. The whole complex is
an important reminder of the fact that Bushbury
parish was almost entirely rural and agricultural
until after the Great War. Suburbia now
stretches to within a few hundred yards of the farm
but beyond it stretch miles of Staffordshire farm
The garden (right) is an effective mix of cottage
and knot styles.
|The house is opened by the Friends of Northycote
Farm, a very energetic and effective group of
volunteers who, in 2006, won a Green Pennant for
their efforts in running the whole site.
There is a very good cafe in the stable block,
open every day. Many events take place there,
under the auspices of the city council. The
photo (right) shows line dancing in the farmyard.
Near the farmyard are enclosures containing small farm yard
animals and, beyond that, fields with real cows in them.
The whole complex is a great asset to this north-western area of
Wolverhampton and is very well used.