Aldridge has been part of the Metropolitan Borough of Walsall since 1974. It was originally an independent village, closely linked to Great Barr, which in 1966 merged with neighbouring Brownhills to form Aldridge-Brownhills Urban District.

Large housing estates were built around the village, and the population greatly increased as people commuted between Aldridge and Birmingham or the Black Country. It is now a relatively affluent suburb of Walsall, with plenty of shops and facilities for the local population.

Aldridge village in about 1904. From an old postcard.


Return to the
Walsall Menu


Proceed to
The Early Years