The view along Great Brickkiln Street looking towards the town centre. On the right with the corner shop is Rosebery Street, which extends to Pelham Street. The building on the far left, in the distance, is Eagle Works. This was occupied by Wearwell bicycles until 1928, when production moved to Colliery Road. The buildings were later occupied by Meynell Valves.
Looking along Great Brickkiln Street in the opposite direction to the photograph above. On the left is Salisbury Street which leads to Pelham Street. Almost every street had a corner shop which meant that the original population could purchase most things locally. The next street on the left is Rosebery Street, again with its corner shop. The tall building beyond Rosebery Street was occupied by Pickfords removal company.
A closer view at Rosebery Street and the Pickfords building. On the far right is the back of Tower Works, also called Ashes Works. This was occupied by the country's third largest car manufacturer, Clyno. The company moved to Wolverhampton before the first world war and originally manufactured motorcycles. In January 1927 the company moved to a new factory at Bushbury and the works were later occupied by Midland Metal Spinners who made Presto and Tower brand pressure cookers, saucepans and kettles.
Another view from the Pickfords building looking towards Rosebery Street and the town centre.
A final view of the Pickfords building with Ashland Street on the left, again with its corner shop.
Great Brickkiln Street school is one of the oldest schools in Wolverhampton. It was one of the original Board Schools that was opened by Wolverhampton School Board. This was established in response to the Education Act of 1870. The school opened in 1878 and replaced schools that were attached to the Queen Street and Temple Street chapels.
The view of Cherry Street with Great Brickkiln Street School on the right, looking towards St. Mark's Road.
Some of the original terraced houses in Great Brickkiln Street. Cherry Street with its corner shop is on the left before the school.
The view looking down Humber Road and Yew Street.
A final view of Great Brickkiln Street looking away from town. Cherry Street and its corner Spar shop is on the right and the school is just off the right-hand side of the picture.
Pelham Street was a mixture of houses and factories. The large factory (Pelham Works) is occupied by Wolverhampton Glass. The works were occupied by bicycle manufacturers, Rudge Wedge & Company Limited, which was founded in 1891. In 1902 the company moved to new works in Mander Street.

The building later became the Pelham Laundry premises.

The view along Pelham Street looking in the opposite direction with Pelham Bakery on the right.
Some of the houses that faced Pelham Works.  On the left is Rosebery Street with its two corner shops and in the distance is the front of Ashes Works where Clyno motorcycles and cars were built.
The view looking along Pelham Street towards Kimberley Street shows more of the terraced houses that adjoined the factories. At the end of the street is Fort Works which used to be occupied by the Stevens family who made engines here and later moved to Retreat Street to form the famous A.J.S. motorcycle company. The works was later occupied by Clyno and more recently by Midland Metal Spinners.

Return to St. Mark's Road Return to the beginning Proceed to Horseley Fields