St. Mark's Church is at the junction of St. Mark's Road and Chapel Ash. The church was built in 1848-9 by C. W. Orford and was converted to office use in 1990. St. Marks Road was at the edge of an area of dense housing which extended across Great Brickkiln Street to Penn Fields. The town's population increased dramatically in the late 19th century through to the later years of the 20th century as people moved into the town to take advantage of the many jobs that were available in local industry. Several areas of dense housing were built to cater for the new population and this was one of them. The population was 7,454 in 1750 and there were 1440 houses in the town. By 1788 it had increased to 11,386 people and 2770 houses, an increase of greater than 50%. Great Brickkiln street was developed in the late 1870s and the houses spread to cover a large area. By 1871 the population had increased to 68,291 with 13,272 houses.
This dramatic growth slowed down during the later years of the 20th century:
year population number of houses
1871 68,291 13,272
1881 75,766 14,470
1891 82,662 16,089
1901 94,187 19,277

The photograph shows Lord Street, looking towards Chapel Ash. It was taken in the early 1970s.

This view is looking up Lord Street towards Great Brickkiln Street. The single storey building in the centre is a café. The building with the ground floor painted white is occupied by Smith's Radio Limited's service department. The company's shop was on the corner of Temple Street and Worcester Street. Smiths also had a hi-fi and camera shop in Victoria Street, which moved from Worcester Street. The building is also occupied by Fretsonic Sound Equipment.

The last building on the right was occupied by Premier Tool Makers.

This photograph shows the junction of  St. Mark's Road and Lord Street. The housing in St. Mark's Road consisted mainly of terraces, but there were also up-market detached properties as can be seen in the house with the large bay windows. This is a typical view of the area, most streets looking almost identical.
The view looking back down St. Mark's Road towards the Lord Street junction. St. Mark's Church can be seen in the distance.
Another view from St. Mark's Road, looking towards Lord Street. St. Peter's Church tower can be seen on the far left above the white-fronted building which was a part of Charles Clark's car repairs and parts business. On the far right is Cherry Street which joins Great Brickkiln Street.
Another view of Lord Street which shows some of the typical terraced housing.
A final view of St. Mark's Road showing the variety of terraced housing in the area.
Looking along Laburnum Street from the junction with Humber Road. This shows one of the many corner shops that were a feature in the area.

Return to the City Centre Return to the beginning Proceed to Great Brickkiln Street