After the War

During the war the ground had been neglected, and more seriously the company had no reserves of capital. Luckily they wisely invested what little they had and within 5 years they accrued an impressive £150,000.

The race meetings continued to be a great success. In July 1950 another famous visitor Lord Astor had a successful meeting. His chestnut gelding “High Stakes” won the Shrewsbury Stakes. The next day Lady Baron’s horse “Tangle” ridden by Tommy Hawcroft won the Deepfields Plate with odds of 50/1.

A meeting in the 1960s.

Further improvements were made at the course in the mid to late 1950s. In 1955 and 1956 the stands were covered, and in 1957 the Champagne and Oyster Bar was built.

In 1958 the Paddock Buffet Bar opened and in 1959 three round courses for flat racing, hurdling, and steeplechasing were constructed at a cost of £3,400.

The improvements continued the following year with the installation of a modern watering system, and better amenities in the bar under the Silver Ring stand.

On 14th September, 1964 the Queen had her first success at the course when her horse “Menai”, ridden by Geoff Lewis won the Bushbury Maiden Plate. In October 1966 Wolverhampton staged the National Hunt Hurdle Cup as part of the celebrations of the first 100 years of the National Hunt Committee. The race was won by Mr. K. F. Alder’s horse “Saucy Kit”, ridden by Roy Edwards.

The new Club Building opened in 1968 with a weighing room, jockeys changing room, and a banqueting suite. In 1970 the young Pat Eddery won the Dunstall Derby, which was to be the first of many such wins during his outstanding career.

Return to
Between The Wars
  Return to
the contents
  Proceed to
Recent Times