Sydney S. Guy
The Guy Family and The Guy Owners Club
| In 1913 Sydney S. Guy resigned from his position
of Works Manager at the Sunbeam Motor Company to set up his own
business. Guy Motors was formed in 1914 and a factory was built at
Fallings Park which opened in May 1914. The first vehicle produced
was a 30cwt lorry employing a light pressed steel frame, patented 3
point suspension, and a governor to automatically control the speed.
During the first world war production was taken over by the Ministry
of Munitions, and large numbers of vehicles were produced for
military use. Guy also became the largest UK manufacturer of depth
charge firing mechanisms.
Over the years the company has produced large numbers
of trucks and lorries, and for a short while built cars. The company's
first bus was built in 1924 and soon large numbers of buses were made
here. In 1948, Guy purchased the Sunbeam Trolley Bus Company Limited and
became the country's largest trolley bus manufacturer. In the early
1950's Guy started to produce heavy goods vehicles, but in 1959 the
company ran into trouble with its 'Wulfrunian' bus, which was suffering
from a number of mechanical problems. In October 1961 the company went
into receivership, was purchased by Jaguar Cars, and renamed Guy
Motors (Europe) Ltd. In 1966 Jaguar Cars became part of the
British Motor Corporation, and production continued at Falling Park as
normal. By 1970 sales were falling due to increased competition.
Guy started to assemble Scammel tractor units, but production ceased in
1978, and within a few years the works were demolished. Sydney Guy
retired in 1967 and died in 1972.