Lichfield Street (Bilston)
Briton Motor Company Limited
On the rear of Lower Walsall Street Works, in Lower
|An identical plaque has been erected by Charles
Weight, on the front of the works in Lower Walsall Street, and
another in Stewart Street.
Lower Walsall Street works are still there
today and are now occupied by Sinclair Collis.
|Car manufacturer, Edward Lisle ran the Star
Engineering Company. In 1909 the company phased out the Starling
and Stuart models, and set up a new company, the Briton Motor
Company to produce their cheaper products. The new company was
under the direction of Edward Lisle Junior. It continued to use
Star's Stewart Street premises, taking over the labour force
there. The company was quite successful and in 1912
purchased six acres of land alongside the LNWR railway line in
Lower Walsall Street.
|New works were built on the site and the company
moved there in 1913. During the first world war the company was
occupied with war work, but after the war Morris and Austin
started mass production, and Briton found itself in deep
financial trouble. Sales fell, and in 1921 receivers were
appointed. The company went into liquidation and the works was
sold to A.J.S.
The plaque is on the side of the building
that is occupied by Mercia Paper Limited.