|St Peter's Collegiate School was originally known as St
Peter's National Schools and was situated in Craddock Walk near the west
side of St Peter's Church.
It opened in January 1847 and by 1851 there
were 54 boys and 59 girls attending the school. It was extended in 1862
when an infants school was added.
As pupil numbers increased it became
necessary to find a larger site and so the building shown in the
photograph was opened on 25th August 1902.
It was situated on the
eastern side of St Peter's Square with the girls downstairs and the boys
upstairs. In 1932 the infants school was closed and in 1934 another wing
was added giving a hall, science, woodwork and metalwork rooms.
the school moved to its present site at Compton Park. The building was
acquired by the Council in 1974 for demolition to make way for the new
One of the buildings remained until the mid 1990's
when it too was demolished to make way for an extension to
the library building.