In the early 1880s an extensive building scheme began on the site. Between 1880 and 1881 new extensions were built to the designs of London based architect R. C. Sinclair, who specialised in breweries. In order to publicise his design, he exhibited photographs of the brewery at the 1883 Brewers' Exhibition at the Agricultural Hall, Islington.

The new buildings included a brewhouse containing twenty five quarter mash tuns, two maltings, a cooperage, and two stable blocks. By this time the brewery had a capacity of 1,500 barrels per week.

It was around this time that William Hodson's son Laurence Hodson began to work at the brewery under the tuition of the partners.

In 1885 William Hodson purchased Compton Hall from
Sir John Morris. The hall, now part of Compton Hospice, is across the road from The Cedars, where William Butler and his family lived.

The brewery continued to go from strength to strength, mainly because of the energetic management and the high quality products. In the late 1880s further expansion was envisaged to keep-up with increasing sales, but the scheme was abandoned because of William Hodson’s failing health.

In order for the existing plant to cope with demand, a night shift was introduced. Staff worked on a twelve hour shift system with night work every other week.

Laurence Hodson.

Part of Springfield Brewery seen from Grimstone Street in 2003, twelve months before the fire.

On the left is the old four storey tower brewery, and on the right is part of R. C. Sinclair's new brewhouse, built in 1880/1883.

R. C. Sinclair's new brewhouse has two storeys, 8 bays, slate roofs, iron-framed windows, and a short brick tower with a pyramid roof.

It originally had two cast iron mash tuns with shallow domes, which were replaced with copper tuns in 1896. Two more were added in 1899.

The building includes the old main entrance into the brewery yard, with steel girders above to support the upper storey.

As built, it also housed a boiler and steam engine with a chimney above, three coppers, and malt and hop stores.

The ground floor opened to the roof with staging on the north and south sides to support the coppers and mash tuns.

The furnaces for the coppers were on the north side of the building, and on the south side were the shafts for driving the stirring gear for the mash tuns.

A plan of Springfield Brewery in 1883.

William Butler's Shooting Party.

Back row left to right:  Mr. Joynson, The head keeper, William Butler, William Bruford,
and Mr. Bruford's manservant.
Front row left to right:  The head keeper's son, Mr. Reynolds (Inn keeper), and William Butler's coachman.

Some of the staff in 1887.

The Cooperage Department staff in 1891.

Back row left to right:  S. Johnson, J. Meacham, and P. Whitehouse.
Next row left to right:  F. W. Holloway, J. Vincent, H. Brimson, and A. Johnson.
Next row left to right:  G. Willis, J. Bull, Mr. H. Waters, H. Wilkes, and 'Daddy' Hutchings.
Front row left to right:  T. Waters, H. Bickerton, T. Salt, and J. Markan.


The Building Department staff in 1894.

Back row left to right:  H. Griffiths, H. N. Fellows, W. Morgan, O. Price, W. Morris, W. Turner,
F. Kenney, T. Pryce, J. Stanley, and W. H. B. Bateman.
Next row left to right:  G. Parry, A. Jones, A. J. Walton, F. Dunn, J. Orwell, H. Freeman, C. Parker,
and W. Steed.
Front row left to right:  J. Shelley, W. Vickers, J. Court, W. Webb, W. Hazeldine, and W. Andrews.

The opening of the new cooperage in June 1897.

The Cooperage Department staff in 1897.
The Forwarding Department in 1892.

Some of the staff in 1895.

More staff from 1895.

Another old staff photograph, date unknown.

Standing left to right:  G. Hayward, W, Brown, S. Asbury, J. P. Pye, R. Hodson,
J. Vincent, and R. Smith.
Sitting:  J. Taylor.

The Bottling Department staff in 1902.

A staff photograph from 1909.

The new brewhouse and entrance into the main yard. As seen in 2003.

The old stables on the corner of Grimstone Street and Cambridge Street.

A view of the brewery in 1889. Courtesy of James Hewitt.

Return to
Springfield Brewery
  Return to
the beginning
  Proceed to