Faces Part Two

The Rev. J. Eckersley, M.A., R.D.


The Rev. John Hopkin, M.A.

Born at Kersley, Lancashire, May 12th, 1843; educated at Farnworth Grammar School and St. Mary Hall, Oxford, taking his degree at the University in 1867; ordained September, 1867, by Bishop Prince Lee, of Manchester, and licensed to the curacy of the Parish Church, Preston. Curate of Darlington Parish Church (1869); took in 1873 a new district in Derbyshire, Bugsworth, formed out of the ancient parish of Glossop, where, during a stay of eight years, he was instrumental in building a church, day and Sunday schools, and a parsonage. Appointed to the Vicarage of Wednesbury, June 30th, 1881. Made Rural Dean of Walsall, 1892; Wednesbury, 1894.


Born at Clayton, Yorkshire, November 3rd, 1850; matriculated October, 1872, at St. John's College, Cambridge; ordained September, 1875, with title to the curacy of St. Mary's, Hull; succeeded Canon Bodington as Rector of St. James', Wednesbury, January 3rd, 1884. Has been Chairman of the School Board since 1889. An eloquent and popular preacher and an enthusiastic and successful worker. Parishioners and the townsfolk generally recently heard with very great regret of Mr. Hopkin's impending removal from Wednesbury, a step forced upon him by continued ill health.


The Rev. F. R. Harpham.   Councillor Isaac Griffiths, J.P.

The Rev. Francis Ratcliffe Harpham was born near Spalding, Lincolnshire, September 22nd 1851. Educated at Brighton and at St. Alban Hall and Merton College, Oxford. He was ordained Deacon in 1875, and Priest in 1876, by the late Bishop of Ripon. Mr. Harpham has successively served as curate of Little Holbeck, Leeds, 1875; Chaplain of Leeds Infirmary, 1877; Rector of Shirland, Derbyshire, 1883. He succeeded the Rev. R. B. Stoney, as Rector of St. John's, Wednesbury, in 1889. Mr. Harpham is very popular amongst his parishioners. He has succeeded in obtaining the erection of a handsome rectory, and last year the jubilee of the parish was celebrated by the thorough renovation of the church and several structural alterations, the cost exceeding £1,000.


Is a member of one the oldest families in Wednesbury, where he was born in 1840. His entry on public life was in 1874, when he was elected a member of the School Board, a position he still holds. He has sat for Wood Green Ward on the Town Council ever since the incorporation, and is Chairman of the Gas and Water Committee. He has been Churchwarden at St. Paul's for twenty years. He is a Gladstonian in politics, but has ceased to be an active worker in the cause. Is part proprietor of the Imperial Tube Works.





LT. Col. C. E. Smith, V.D., J.P.


Major Edward Nayler, V.D.

Born at Wednesbury, December 4th, 1845. Son of Mr. Edward Smith, founder and proprietor of the Brunswick Tube Works. Became a Volunteer in 1866, joining as private. Wears the Queen's decoration for long service. Was prime mover in the scheme for the establishment of the Drill Hall. Married in 1871 a daughter of the late Mr. John Richards. Is a Churchman, an active Conservative, and a Borough Magistrate.


Was born in 1826 at Tipton. At an early age he entered the office of Messrs. John Bagnall and Sons, and rose to be general manager. Was a member of the Board of Health, and is now a member of the Board of Guardians and School Board. He joined the 34th Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers as ensign in 1863, made lieutenant in 1871, and captain in 1878. In 1884 he raised a second company. He attained the honorary rank of major in 1883, and resigned in 1886. The Queen has presented him with a medal for 23 years' service. Is a churchman and Conservative.

Major C. Walsh Graham.   The Hon. P. Stanhope, M.P.

Twenty years ago this gentleman was actively engaged in public work in Wednesbury, especially in furtherance of the Conservative cause, to which he is ardently attached. He has resided for some years now at Wolverhampton, but is still closely connected with Wednesbury as proprietor of the important sawing and planing mills and joinery works in Potter's Lane. He is an enthusiastic Volunteer, and holds the appointment of Supply and Transport Officer on the staff of Brigadier General Bridgeman, Staffs. Volunteer Infantry Brigade.


Son of the late Earl Stanhope. Born in 1847. Married in 1877, Tolstoy, widow of a Russian nobleman. Came to Wednesbury with a recommendation from Mr. Gladstone, and contested the Borough in opposition to Mr. Wilson Lloyd in 1885, He suffered reverse, but fought again in 1886 and was successful. Remained member for Wednesbury until 1892, when Mr. Wilson Lloyd defeated him a second time. Now sits for Burnley.

Mr. James Slater, J.P., C.C.   Mr. James Belcher.

Born at Darlaston, August, 1836. He is head of one of the most flourishing legal practices in the Midlands. His many important public positions have included Chairmanship of the Darlaston Local Board, and Wednesbury School Board. He is at the present time Clerk to the Willenhall Justices, member of Darlaston District Council, of the County Council, and of the Walsall Borough Bench. Is a strong Liberal, and has more than once had the opportunity of becoming a Parliamentary Candidate.


Born at Darlaston in September, 1831. Was a schoolmaster from 1849 to 1873, when he became an auctioneer and valuer. In partnership with his son, Mr. A. D. Belcher, a business is now carried on in Wednesbury and Darlaston, which is one of the best known in the Midlands. Has been a member of Wednesbury School Board (1870-79), Darlaston Local Board (1879-88). Has been a Primitive Methodist local preacher since 1856. In politics, a Liberal.

Master T. F. Morris, L.C.V.   Mr. F. W. Hackwood, J.P., F.R.H.S.

Is the son of Mr. George Morris, chemist, and although only fifteen years old, has already attained well-merited distinction in the musical world. Made his first public appearance as a violinist at the age of six, and stirred the enthusiasm of his listeners. At the age of nine he was the youngest Associate of the College of Violinists, and gained in the following year his "Licentiate" degree. In 1895 he was called to London, as one of the most talented diplomees, to play at a Recital in the Queen's Hall, Langham Place, and received marked congratulation at the hands of Signor Guido Papini. Master Morris is now studying at the Royal College of Music, where he gained a free Scholarship.


Born in Upper High Street, 18th April, 1851. Became headmaster of the Parish Church Schools in March, 1872. In 1873, introduced football into Midland District. In 1884, with Mr. Joseph Smith, founded the Wednesbury Institute. Made the opening speeches at the town's meetings which resolved on incorporation as a Municipality and on acquiring a public park. Served on Town Council from 1887 to 1893, during which he was Chairman of Free Library Committee, and has been Chairman of the Subscription Library since its establishment. Promoted the scheme for a Borough Bench, and has been a Borough Magistrate since 1893. Is author of a number of works, educational and topographical, and has been contributor to the Wednesbury Herald for twenty years.

"Quaker" Lloyd.   The Rev. R. B. Stoney, M.A.,

Samuel Lloyd, whose likeness we are able to reproduce through the kindness of his son, Mr. Wilson Lloyd, J.P., was born at Birmingham, July 20th, 1795, and died in 1862. He came to Wednesbury in 1818 with the set purpose of developing the large mining property left by Richard Parkes and of becoming an ironmaster. The Patent Shaft and Axletree Company, the largest employers of labour in Wednesbury today, are the present representatives of the business which he founded.


Was for more than twenty years Rector of St. John's, Wednesbury, and an active and popular figure in the public life of the town. Now Rector of Shirland, near Alfreton. The publication of this excellent photograph will give pleasure to many of his old friends. We may recall that Mr. Stoney, whilst at Wednesbury, was chaplain of the local volunteer forces, and chaplain to the first Mayor of the town, in which capacity, both socially and ecclesiastically, he upheld the dignity of the office.

Cornelius Whitehouse.   Dr. E. A. Dingley.

Born at Oldbury, 1795, and died August 7th, 1883, in his eighty ninth year, a poor man, if not a neglected genius. His claim to recognition in this work consists in the fact that he invented the wrought iron tube, and so laid the foundation of much of Wednesbury's growth and prosperity. His patent was taken out in the year 1825, when Whitehouse was employed by Mr. James Russell, the founder of the Crown Tube Works.





Eldest son of Alderman Dingley, of the County of Dorset. He was born at Sherborne, and was educated at the King's School and at New College, Eastbourne. In 1878 he joined University College Hospital, and in July, 1882, was admitted a member of the Royal College of Surgeons. In 1883 he graduated as Bachelor of Medicine in the University of London, taking honours in three subjects, and in 1884 he obtained his degree of M.D. The same year he was appointed House Physician to the Wolverhampton General Hospital, where he laboured for two years, till the death of Dr. Blackwood led him to commence practice in Wednesbury in 1886, when he was appointed a Parish Medical Officer. He is an active Wesleyan, and has been a Liberal candidate for a seat on the Council.

Mr. William Henley.   Mr. S. J. Bishop.

Born January 28th, 1874, at Hill Top. Used to be described as the boy Paganini. First tour was through Gloucestershire and the Forest of Dean at the age of 13. Leader of the band that accompanied Doyle Carte's Opera Company to France. Appeared in Manchester and Birmingham, October 1888, and has toured through Lancashire each concert season since then with great success. Went away in April, 1893, to study with Professor Wilhelmj. During the past season he has performed at 103 concerts, including towns in Scotland, North of England, Yorkshire, West of England, Ireland, South Wales, and the Harrison Tour. Made a tremendous success at the Patti Concert, London. The only English violinist to have the honour of playing at a London Patti concert.


Born at Wednesbury, attended St. James' School, was choirboy, and later choirman at St. James' Church; studied singing under Mr. Charles Lunn, of Birmingham, at the age of 20 sang solos in Messiah at Birmingham Town Hall. Shortly afterwards was appointed to Southwell Cathedral. After spending four years there was appointed as principal bass at Exeter Cathedral, and has sung at all the leading concerts in the west. On two occasions was engaged as solo bass for the Western Counties Festival. Two years ago was advised to place himself under Mr. Charles Santley, "England's greatest baritone." Since then has appeared at Albert Hall, London, also at Birmingham, Sheffield, Nottingham, Plymouth, and leading provincial concerts. His repertoire includes all the modern works.

Police Constable Richard Goldby.   Mr. H. H. Cannell.

Pc. Richard Goldby, of the Wednesbury Division, Staffordshire Constabulary, whose brave conduct in descending the burning hole on the Old Park Road, and recovering the charred remains of the unfortunate watchman, Hodgkiss, has recently brought his name so prominently before the public, is a native of Staffordshire, having been born at Stafford, on January 12th, 1873. He joined the Staffordshire Constabulary in 1893, and has been posted at Wednesbury ever since. Pc. Goldby's act of heroism and self sacrifice at King's Hill has created for him an enviable popularity in the district, and his bravery has been recognised in various ways, including the presentation of a medal by the Prince of Wales.


A native of Wednesbury, and one of the best speakers and organisers the town has produced. An ardent Tory in politics, he is the idol of the rank and file of the party in the Borough.

Has earned more than one testimonial for his effective speaking and working on behalf of Unionist Candidates in this Borough.

Since relinquishing the agency of the party in Wednesbury, he has become Secretary of a prosperous cycle company in London.


Superintendent Salt.   Mr. J. T. Holland.

Mr. Thomas Salt, Superintendent of Police for the Wednesbury Division, has risen from the ranks. Born at Hopton, near Stafford, December 3rd, 1851, he entered the County Police Force as a constable on January 31st, 1872, and was stationed first at Longton, then at Stoke. In 1879 he became Sergeant, and removed to Burton-on-Trent. In February, 1883, he was placed on the staff at the office of the Chief

Constable of the County, at Stafford. In July, 1885, he became a Merit-class Sergeant, and in November of the same year, he was made Inspector. On December 1st, 1892, he was promoted to the rank of Superintendent, and placed in charge of the Wednesbury Division, on the removal of Superintendent Walters to Bilston. He is a shrewd officer, a strict disciplinarian, but considerate and courteous withal, and he is well-liked by his men and highly respected by the public.

Ex-Superintendent Holland was born in Sussex in 1827, his father being a veterinary surgeon. He joined the Staffordshire Constabulary in 1849, and was promoted step by step until in 1863 he became Superintendent of the Rushall Division, which then included Wednesbury.

Some few years ago he retired after 42 years meritorious service. His long connection with Wednesbury during an interesting period in its history has provided him a rare fund of local anecdotes and incidents. His reminiscences were published in the Herald three or four years ago.





Mr. Joseph Yardley.   Mr. Thomas Jones.

One of the most active public men of Darlaston, where he was born on April 16th, 1848.

Was Chairman of the District Council at the time it was decided to include his portrait in this work, but has since resigned through ill health. Remains Chairman of Walsall Board of Guardians, of which body he has been a member for ten years. Was for three years a member of Darlaston School Board. Is attached to the Church of England, and attends the Church of St. John, Pleck. In politics he is a Conservative, and has done much work for his party locally.


Elected Town Clerk of Wednesbury August 4th, 1897, in succession to the late Mr. George Rose, whose death has occurred since the printing of his portrait in this book.

Mr. Jones is a native of Wednesbury. He was educated at Wolverhampton Grammar School, articled to Mr. James Slater, of Darlaston, in 1875, admitted a solicitor in 1881, and commenced to practise in Wednesbury in the same year. He is a prominent churchman and freemason. The choice of Mr. Jones to fill the important office of Town Clerk has given very general satisfaction.


Return to
Faces part 1


Return to
the contents


Proceed to
Places part 1